Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Suggested Bibliography, Part 2

This is the second part of this Bibliography, so be sure to read these in order...


6. Read the Bible for a Change by Ray Lubeck
Now, this book is hardly a classic by any stretch, but I regard it with a deeper affection. You see, I have Ray Lubeck for a teacher in several classes over the course of several years at college. Fellow students seemed to adore him, but at first, I thought him a bit odd. However, after several classes, I found myself impressed by his teaching style and engaged by his enthusiasm. In fact, I feel that much of what my students enjoy about my class is a direct result of Ray's influence in my own life. He helped me understand what good teaching looks like.
That narrative note aside, this book is a very readable guide to Bible study, filled with humorous anecdotes and warmth. Lubeck packs a lot of info and analysis into a neat little package here, and it is only the richer for me, since much of it echoes discussion that we had in classes. His notion of reading the Bible like a BOOK completely changed my way of looking at it. Kind of common sense, huh? Well, I can tell you that it isn't that common, and most treat it like some kind of Spiritual Swiss Army knife. I don't have a corner on correct interpretation, but thanks to Ray, I feel like I am on the right street.

7. "The Dictionary of..." collection published by InterVaristy Press
Each of the books in this series is a collection of articles about a multitude of subjects in a given section of the Bible. For instance, in "The Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels," you will find literally hundreds of articles on different topics which relate to these particular Biblical books. It may be interpretive theory, book structure, cultural notes, topical or thematic studies, character studies, geographical notes, or any number of topics. These articles are written by modern recognized authorities in these particular topics, and all are scholarly pieces.
Now, I will admit that these are not usually wildly interesting reading. They are, after all, scholarly introductions to these topics. However, it is good to chew on things like these to help us deepen our understanding and thinking. Just reading this kind of writing will invariably hit you with things you would not have thought of on your own, and may even contain "aha" moments when a new light is shone onto these books. As an added bonus, each article is followed by a brief suggested bibliography for that particular subject! Bonus!

8. The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
I am deeply indebted to Dr. G(arry Friesen) who made me read this for his class. It is not a book I might have chosen on my own, but without a doubt it is my favorite Lewis piece. The basic plot is that a busload of damned souls travel to the outskirts of Heaven to decide whether or not they like it enough to stay there forever. Yes, it is a bit of an odd premise, but the underlying themes are too powerful to be dismissed easily. In the end, we see these "ghosts" fall, one by one, away from the "bright country" since they will not relinquish those sins that so tightly bind them.
One of Lewis' gifts is his clear picture of eternal reward and consequences. It shows up in his various writings in various ways, but this work captures it in such a beautiful, fantastical narrative. We find ourselves begging the various ghosts to release themselves from their self-imposed bondage, or maybe we scoff at them for their foolishness: only to catch a glimpse of such shackles within our own hearts.

9. Mere Christianity by CS Lewis
This book is another of his works that is just so marvelous in so many ways. Lewis is, of course, just brilliant. However, he has an equally brilliant way of discussing deep topics in common language. I would say that Lewis has a great "voice" in his writing that makes you feel like you are sitting in a Starbucks with him over coffee... This book is just so... conversational.
In addition to being so enjoyable, the actual topics Lewis wrestles with are utterly profound. This is a kind of Christianity 101, without the preaching. Really, it would be far too difficult to even begin to condense it here, as it tackles a wide range of inter-related topics. It is one of those books that does not waste a sentence, and yet carries you along in the reading. In my mind, it is a masterpiece that deserves a read-through at least once a year.

10. A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin
Now, this is another book that time may decide is not a true "classic" and in another ten years, I may not, either. That said, do not start this book unless you have time to read it straight through. It's nearly 900 pages, and no, I am not kidding. Once you start with it, you will read it every waking hour until it is done. Every person I know who has read it has had exactly this same experience. I bought it on a Sunday afternoon, and even though I had to work Monday and Tuesday, I think I had it completed sometime in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.

As a warning, it is not necessarily for kids. While it is not trying to be vulgar in any way (far from it), it is a modern novel which utilizes the modern propensity to describe things in vivid, sometimes blunt detail. This includes topics like hate, love, war, revenge, sex, etc...

However, the story traces the life of a young man who grows into an old man... who fights in a war and sees death, who loves beauty in an almost transcendent way in all its' forms, who barely escapes a military execution by firing squad, who serves time in a marble quarry hand-chiseling enormous slabs from the sheer cliff face, who speed-climbs a mountain in a hail of artillery fire to rescue a friend, who falls deeply in love with women in a way that makes your heart ache to hear him speak to them, on and on the story goes..... and it takes you along for the ride the whole way. It is not a war novel, or a love story, or a drama... it is all of them woven together. It is well written in a way that books of the month can only dream of.

Well, that is enough of a list for now. I may take up the list again in future installments, and I probably will, but that would give a person a good start.

2 comments:

  1. I'm disappointed that All Quiet On The Western Front didn't make it in there. -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that should probably be on the list.... it really is a nearly transcendent novel. But hey, I hope that this might motivate others to protest or throw their own suggestions into the comments here!!! I would love to get the input...

    Thanks for posting.

    Mr. K

    ReplyDelete