Sunday, January 3, 2010

Abe Lincoln... and Me?

A few weeks ago, I read a book about Abraham Lincoln entitled "Team of Rivals." It was a well written and well researched book that was focused in on Lincoln's Political genius, especially evidenced by his interaction with his Cabinet. It was a good read, and I would recommend it.

In attempting to establish his character and how his personality was shaped, the author (a lady whose name I have forgotten) was describing his seemingly sad or even depressed appearance. Among the many descriptions of Lincoln from his contemporaries, the word "melancholy" kept coming up over and over again. The author was attempting to offer a better understanding of made Lincoln give off this particular "air," and in so doing, I felt she actually helped me to see my own heart a little more clearly.

Lincoln, she suggested, was particularly intelligent and keenly observant. He was enormously ambitious. He was gifted with an insight that penetrated past initial impressions or circumstances. He was also very richly emotional and empathetic, loving deeply and feeling the most intense pain and sorrow on the behalf of friends and acquaintances. Finally, he possessed a self-effacing sense of humor that allowed him to temper the deep sorrow or pains his heart would hold within.

Now, I am not for a moment putting myself on a pedestal with possibly the most profound American character of the 19th century. I am not even saying that I fully understand exactly how I tick or exactly how Lincoln's mind worked. What I am saying is that as I read these few paragraphs, I had to pause and consider things.

You see, I wrestle mightily in my heart with a sometimes terrible maelstrom of emotion. In fact, there are times it is more like a tortured existence. From what I can tell, my personality is... extreme. I am aggressive by nature, competitive, and when I believe I am right about an idea or course of action, I will not be dissuaded (no matter the severity of the battle or the odds against me). It can at times seem almost suicidal, but I can't let go until it is done, or my mind is changed. In a nice way, you could say I have an almost belligerent moral compass.

That's not all of me, though. Under this exterior, in a spot few get a glimpse of, I am deeply sensitive. I would suggest that I am pretty perceptive, as well. I deeply love friends and ache terribly when they hurt. Being that my closest of friends are so far removed geographically, this can become an oppressive ache of loneliness. As I have alluded in other posts, with my particular perspective or insight, it can be mighty lonely in even the most crowded rooms. Great art makes my soul sing, birthday cards make my eyes moist, and even minor kindnesses make it hard to speak. I doubt that too many people, if any, really see this in me, but I assure you, it is there.

Now, when I couple these two truths together, namely, that I am deeply sensitive and perceptive, but I have an almost reckless, inflexible notion of what is right and wrong, do you see the conflict brewing? I think that this is where my often hardened exterior comes from... it is a way of coping with the pressure that builds within. Lincoln used quaint humor and amusing stories to diffuse the pressure building in his soul, and maybe I harden myself as a defense. I try good old-fashioned humor, but often find it wanting or just too silly. So, my humor can seem pessimistic or sarcastic.

These past few years, I feel that I have been on quite a roller coaster of self-realization, and I feel that this is just another one of those realizations. You can't target the enemy until you have him in your crosshairs. So, I find myself trying to flesh out the inner workings of my soul, and soften those areas that have grown calloused or hard. How can I transform those things that are bitter or sharp into things that are sweet and healing? How can this personality, this soul, be redeemed in a full sense? It is a funny thing that we know so much about the surface of the moon, but a person's heart is so unsearchable.

Here is where I pray for more strength and understanding and wisdom. It is here that I must rely on the One who sees clearly and knows without error and provides strength in abundance for every good work. He made me, crafted me even, and He knows where the wires have been crossed. The journey may seem frightening, but true to form, I can not turn back or shirk the challenge.

That's just me.



5 comments:

  1. Great post, Pat. I can empathize with much of what you said above, even the reciprocity with Lincoln's melancholy disposition. In fact, you would love this resource: http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-President-Religious-Biography/dp/0802842933/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262617848&sr=8-1. It is a great read, for it gets behind the political events to the ideas engendering Lincoln's actions. I especially enjoyed the first several chapters on Lincoln's early, a time when his animosity towards Christianity is fueled by his father's staunch calvinism. When Lincoln's mother was sick, he would go to church, listen to the sermon, come home and recited the sermon, reproducing the voice intonation and hand gestures of the pastor, perfectly, to his mother.

    Looks as if we might be Coloradoans (?) soon. I am finishing up my application to Denver this week. I only need to coerce you into applying now. I here there is a great need for church plants in Denver. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. James..don't you dare... We are not moving again.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, James, you bless me with the input. I deeply appreciate the comments when people read them, and I certainly look forward to seeing you name at the top of the response! That was/is a terrific point about Lincoln, and I will probably be looking it up. I find that as I read about great people, or read great works, my own soul is stirred to reach higher or to be more than I think I can be. I can hardly imagine how anyone could know anything about this man Lincoln, and not be so challenged.

    I also appreciate the light hearted banter about Denver. I do echo Rachael's sentiments, as this is home and where I hope to be for some time. It seems the fields are white unto the harvest wherever you go! I would be oh so excited to have you guys only just a few hours away. It seems that Jesse Everett is also considering a move to the Denver area, as he mentioned this to me just a few days ago...

    Thank you again, brother, for reading.

    Num 6:24-26

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problems! Always a pleasure to visit your site.

    Glad that a sense of "homeness" has pervaded your hearts.

    I agree that one's mission field is primarily the endemic environs of one's existential routines.

    I think you would like the link that I sent. I liked it primarily because, as the author points out, works on Lincoln typically take an either or approach: either they focus on the political context, or they focus on his biographical sketch. Guelzo, the author, posits a better way to look at Lincoln—his ideas. It is a great read; you will love it! It is one thing to discover that Lincoln's disposition was melancholy, but Guelzo, a Socrates of sorts, is not satisfied with a "What?" He wants to know the Why of the What.

    Yes, being within several hours will certainly merit our coming to visit you guys. You can meet our new addition, Isaiah Henry. He is scheduled to arrive March 9th in the morning. Erin has to have a c-section because of her heart history.

    Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah James, I rejoice at the hope of your son! I am so very, very happy for the two of you. The change and the challenge is virtually unfathomable, but without reservation, it is worth it. I will be checking on that link.

    Thanks again,

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete