Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Suggested Bibliography, Part 1

What do you read? What would you recommend?


Oftentimes, we find ourselves at a loss to decide what to read, or more to the point, what is worth reading and what is not. Nowadays, printing is cheaper than it has ever been, and we are inundated with the printed word. It can be very, very tough to decide what is worthy of the investment of your life (because time is only a way of measuring your life, after all). There is a bunch of junk out there, in many forms, so one must be careful to invest wisely.

For me, as I proceeded through College, I was taught by men and women who were broadly read in their fields (getting a PhD does that to you). Often, the resource I coveted the most was the suggested Bibliography which each teacher would produce in the syllabus for their class. Basically, this would be a lengthy list of works which they would recommend for the next stage in our education in that subject. Basically, these teachers had done some of the groundwork for me, and separated the wheat from the chaff.

Now, I have shared this with my own class several times over... about these bibliographies. Then, just the other day, one of my students looked at me and asked, "Well, Mr. K, what are YOUR top ten books?"

Frankly, it caught me unawares. I don't suppose that I had ever really given that much thought. At least, I had never considered a list of my own... In that vein, I am going to throw out an eclectic list of ten books that I would recommend, and why I would recommend them.

1. The Bible.
Yes, the Scriptures come out on top of the list. Aside from my own particular faith and worldview, the Good Book is just marvelous. It takes us through a dynamic story, with many twists and turns and joys and heartaches. We find ourselves in familiar stories with the old familiar faces, and puzzling gems hidden in tiny chapters. We find wisdom, poetry, stories, songs, grand announcements, frail prayers, expansive family trees, visions, warfare, love, betrayal, murder, revenge, forgiveness, supernatural events and encounters, dynamic characters, exotic cultures, and a lot more.

Did I mention that the main character is the most controversial, most influential, most discussed, most debated, most cherished, most villified, most adored, most admired, most quoted, most misquoted, most studied, most righteous man in the history of literature? Yup, talkin' about Jesus here. Whatever your thoughts about Him, you find Him here in this book. There is just no other book that is even remotely as rich or influential as the Bible.

2. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I have read this several times now, and it is just amazing. I think that I enjoy it more every time I read it. The characters are rich and the plot is just amazing. The overall theme of redemption and forgiveness is breathtaking. The detail and insights that Hugo brings are clear marks of a gifted author. It is truly, totally, a classic.
I read about Jean Valjean, his unfailing love and his unassailable power to transcend his circumstances. He is a force for redemption that I want to emulate. But to be honest, I find myself on the edge of my seat as I read about Javert, the bitter, unforgiving law man who mercilessly hunts Valjean... I see my own heart strangled and suffocating like his... and when I read, I turn the page hoping that this time, he might not end up in the river. But alas, he is overcome by his inability to show mercy, even to himself. God save me from such a fate....

3. The Sea Wolf by Jack London
Now this is a great departure from Les Mis, as London demonstrates a worldly, humanistic reality where death is omni-present. London had spent time in the great yukon gold rush, seeing firsthand the stark brutality of life there. However, he also spent much time on the open sea, and became an experienced man of the world at a relatively young age. Putting this together with an enormous literary talent, and a keen eye that observed all these things, and you have one of my favorite authors.
Though not as well known as White Fang or Call of the Wild, Sea Wolf is my favorite London novel. In it, we see the terrible battle of souls between the terrifying, Darwinian captain Wolf Larsen and the somewhat sheltered, idealist gentleman Humphrey Van Weyden. We watch as "Hump" wrestles with surviving in Wolf's brutal world, physically and ethically, while trying not to become the Wolf to do so. I could go on about it, but it is just a great read.

4. Jack London's various Yukon-based short stories
I have never been the biggest fan of London's two most well-known Yukon novels (White Fang and Call of the Wild), but I have always loved his short stories about the North. There are several dozen of them, and I will take it on myself to re-read them at least once a year. Having come from a small town in north Minnesota, far back in the cold, snow covered timber, these stories contain a sort of nostalgia for me. I have been inside hunting cabins that resemble those detailed in his stories, I have lived in temperatures well below zero for weeks on end, and I remember watching sled dog races run. At night, in the woods, you can still hear the wolves howl...
Aside from these memories, many of his insights into human nature and people in general fell in line with my own experiences and understandings. So in these things, I feel a part of his writings. Further, as with all truly amazing authors, he will drop the occasional phrase, sentence, or observation that gives the reader food for deep contemplation.
Among these short works, The White Silence, The Sundog Trail, The Master of Mystery, Housekeeping in the Klondike, and the classic To Build A Fire are the stories which I enjoy more than others, but really, they all mean something to me. Come, break the trail with Sitka Charley and sit alongside the Malamute Kid at the fire...

5. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
The funny thing with this book is that I kind of found it through the backdoor. Before I ever sat to read the book, I saw the old movie which starred Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab. Despite the somewhat goofy-looking whale (by today's standards anyhow), I loved it. I still believe that Peck's Ahab is the one against which all others are measured. But I degress.... back to the book....
I richly enjoy reading a book that has the 200-year-old feel to it. The culture Melville describes, the richness of his characters (some of the best descriptions I have ever read), the iconic story itself, the language he uses... all add up to a really great book. I find myself tremble with Starbuck, as he listens to Ahab wrestle with Providence... and I feel myself captivated by the gravity of this scarred face. "Come Starbuck, let me gaze into a human eye....."


No comments:

Post a Comment