Sunday, September 5, 2010

Good Walk Ruined? Part 3

The game itself… caught me unawares.

I had all sorts of notions of what it would be like. I mean, I had seen the movies where guys wearing really ugly pants cursed violently and threw their clubs. Some guys grabbed their clubs and snapped them in fury across their knees. You know, the frustration, the anger… agony or ecstasy riding on every shot… that “ruined walk” we were talking about. However, what I came to understand about the game, was so much more than that. What I came to realize about the game is so simply said… and holds so much weight…

The next shot is all that matters. This was a very, very profound realization for me. Sure, you have to be practiced and you have to understand the rules. You have to have technique. You have to be equipped with a full range of the proper gear. You need to have some knowledge of the course. All of that is so very true.

However, when you stand over that ball… when your body and mind are cocked and loaded, all that matters is hitting the ball right then and there. The last shot is in the books. It is history. You make adjustments. You learn from your mistakes. You play the ball where it lies.

When I began to understand this, the game just sort of… opened up. It took on a transcendent quality. It became a metaphor for life. When I realized this, when this clicked, the game became more than a walk in ugly pants. I realized that I could really grow to love this game… that it was becoming more the “game of kings” that I had heard about.

You see, in life, we all have a past. All of us. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have things which bring them pleasure when they recollect them, and those things they might wish they could forget; experiences we would ache to re-create, and those shots we would like to have back.

The past is the past, though, and all we have is this moment… today. Yesterday might have been a heartbreaker, maybe this morning was off in the rough, you might have blown it even just an hour ago, but each interaction, each decision brings opportunity for redemption. You have to allow your experience to color your choices, but you have to live in the here and now. You have to focus and take THIS shot. You have to play life how it lies.

And this is the way in which I think golf becomes the “game of kings.” I used to have that dismissive, cynical attitude about this phrase, too, because I associated golf with pomp and the stereotypical, condescending upper classes. So naturally, the self-inflated royalty would gravitate to this kind of game, wouldn’t they? They of the exclusive, racist, sexist golf culture! Pompous jerks! Ha!

I was wrong primarily because I did not understand how profound the game is, and the corresponding nature of true leadership. A leader is not perfect, and all of his decisions are not perfect, but a great leader is not held hostage by his past. He must make the best decision that he can, every time, with the skills, wisdom, discipline, experience, and resources at his disposal. The situations that he finds himself confronted with are rarely simple, but mostly complex and difficult. The point is, though, that the leader still has to lead… he still has to take the next shot…

And it is these insights... these realizations… about the game that make me think it is worth playing. Golf can be overdone, it can be all of those negative things we sometimes envision about it, BUT it can also be a reflection of something larger and even noble. It is these attributes that make we want to get on the driving range, and onto the fairway.

FORE!

3 comments:

  1. Great analogy! I think you could sell this... just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha....

    Lizzie, you are so funny!

    Thank you for your kind gesture. Yes, even an old guy who is getting long in the tooth can use some encouragement now and again!

    I do need to get with you about the classes or whatever it is you have been doing to prepare for publication. That is a dream and a goal of mine... to publish... so it would great to talk with you about it.

    Lizzie, your example has inspired me to get off the sidelines and into the game. Truly it was said, "A teacher learns more from his students, than they do from him."

    Keep writing.

    Mr. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the late response, just saw this. Looking at it again, it would make a great devotional. I'd love to help you in any way I could, although I freely confess you have me beat as a writer. I still have a ton I'd like to learn from you in that respect! It is a weird feeling to be giving your former teacher advice, haha. I feel I could maybe help you with what I've learned so far about selling your writing... which is clearly your next step! You've had the inspiration, you're a good writer, now you just need to begin marketing your work! I still have a lot to learn, but hopefully I could help a little. Plus, I think I also have a little of that teacher gene, and I'm positively busting with wanting to share with someone what I've learned so far, haha. So if ever you have need, you know where to find me!

    ReplyDelete