Thursday, December 10, 2009

Great Expectations... The Conclusion

For one, I have to consider that My Heavenly Father made me to be... me. As Paul would write, he makes different vessels for different purposes. He crafts each person with their own blend of gifts and shortcomings, personalities and tastes. If I acknowledged this in theory, I had to be willing to see it in myself. I realized that I might be able to perform a great many jobs or duties, there were those things that I had a natural aptitude for, and other things which came with greater difficulty. Some things just seemed to "fit" better than others...

Now this may seem oh-so-obvious, but it may raise some concerns, as well. For instance, what if you find that you are gifted for a job that society may not glorify? What if your family doesn't value this profession? What if you have to settle for a shorter check in a culture gone mad with materialism? This isn't a slam dunk for everyone, and this is seldom actually discovered in any of the multitude of personality tests that experts want to offer...

So if the Lord made me, and he made me for a purpose, what then? Well, as I wed these two truths, I see that as I work at my vocation, I am fulfilling His purposes. It is, whether consciously or not, obedience. If I understand that I am only one piece of this enormous puzzle, with each piece being fitted for a specific place in the whole, then I begin to see that by obeying this fundamental calling, I am actually serving my fellow man.

Then, if I see that I am serving my fellow man, I also must see that my fellow man also serves me and my needs. The self-made, self-sufficient man may be the most absurd idol ever imagined. Truly it was said, "No man is an island." We are, all of us, interconnected in ways too deep to get our arms around. Instead of seeing some as servants to be pitied, and others as masters to be envied, I see that whether we fully see it or not, we are all servants. This should come as no surprise when we meditate on the Cross.

So not only did He make me, and for a purpose, but he made me to be a servant to his other creatures. By exercising my gifts, the gifts he gave me, I glorify Him. If I apply myself to this calling with vigor, humility, and joy, I draw close to the heart of worship. As Eric Liddell, the olympic gold medal runner, said in Chariots of Fire, "God (also) made me fast, and when I run, I feel HIS pleasure." This kind of worship grants even the most menial of tasks with the deepest dignity...

Can you see that the man running the bulldozer can lay an offering on the altar as beautiful as the nun who ministers to the destitute in Calcutta? Isn't that... just amazing? What can your life be? What song can you sing with your life?

If we come full circle, I realize that I still carry a solemn charge, but it isn't quite the way I imagined it (and maybe not how my family understood it, either). It is not a matter so much of redeeming a family name, but redeeming my life by serving the Name Above All Names. It is not about trying to be anything but what I was made to be. It is no longer a matter of being honored among men, but being rewarded by the giver of every good and perfect gift.

And this is where the road has led me. As is often the case, despite the frustration of the young, experience has a way of lending more clarity to things. My prayer is that as I continue to grow in wisdom and years, I might gain an even deeper appreciation for this worship... that I might prove to be a worthy vessel for the rich gifts my Father has bestowed on me. Just by being... me.





4 comments:

  1. Well said Mr. K, thanks this is always wonderful to read as usual..
    Just one or two points, i can't wait to use my gifts that i have been granted to worship God, that would be amazing. And i can't wait to do so.
    its just hard sometimes finding what gifts He wants me to use, or understand how to use them.

    on other thing was about the servant's and master's it makes me think about the past days where servants wouldn't be treated great and would be pushed down and out.. bringing that into todays hands when we see people being picked on or shoved down or anything, it makes me feel like i should pull them up the best i can, then from there show them to God and let him get them standing tall. Because it seems as in this social society now that even the slightest nice act could, infact save someone.

    I'll look forward to more Mr. K,
    happy writings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,
    Thank you for the response (I covet them, you know).

    I think that first and foremost, you need to realize that you are totally, completely, His creation. All of your faculties are for His Glory. We all need to be careful not to try to compartmentalize our lives and our gifts, as though some are for Him and some are for us... Nothing that we have, now or ever, is anything but a gift from the Lord.

    As far as helping others, there are a few things to be careful of. Number one, Ryan, you need to be sure that you have sure footing beneath you before you attempt to steady another, or help another up (remember CS Lewis here). Sometimes, we find it easier to help others instead of seeking help for ourselves... it becomes a way that we try to make ourselves feel good or valuable.. This is far more common among ministers than you might think...

    Along this vein of thought, be careful not to confuse compassion with pity. I would suggest that if we look down on certain vocations and people with disdain... we might feel pity because these souls are "trapped" in their jobs...

    We out to be moved by compassion and empathy... surely, this is a Godly attribute. I may be slicing the bologna pretty thin with this, but I do feel that there is a difference here... Feeding the hungry and lifting up the broken is purely Christian... showing compassion to those who need it...

    In short, I would be very careful to consider the motives, and that, I think, is where I will plant the flag...

    Thanks,

    Mr. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I have so many identities on here it's ridiculous. Anyway, this is Lizzie... "A Learning Poet."

    Just wanted to let you know I still read this... after all, what kind of "follower" would I be if I didn't? ;)

    I found this whole series of "Great Expectations" particularly interesting what with graduating and all. The thing about graduating is that everyone has "great expectations" for you, and they all differ according to their separate value systems. And yet, every one of them expects you to meet them. However, the expectations that most bothered me were my own… what if I never made it anywhere in life? What if I never became a published author and spent my life writing for newspapers? What if I missed God’s plan for me?

    My realization came when I realized that God’s grace is sufficient. Okay, say I miss God’s ideal plan for my life… does that mean I’m a lost case? Does that mean he never knew I was going to mess up and go the wrong way? ( I think I remember having a discussion about this in class once, during which you broke something of Arrick’s.) Nah, he knew. But God is powerful enough to redeem any situation… if I find myself in such a case, all I gotta do is say, “Okay, Lord… I missed you on that one. I should have waited on you for your direction. I’m sorry for that… can you help me make it right again?” No matter how far off the path I went or how far behind I got on his plan, the problem can never be bigger than God.

    My second realization was that God is big enough to get my attention. I believe he loves me, cares for me, and has plans for me as described in Jeremiah 29:11. If that’s the case, why would he want me to be in the dark about my calling? He wouldn’t… but what if I’m so impaired I can’t hear him correctly or even at all? Then I thought about all the times and all the different ways God reached people in the Bible… talking donkey, burning bush, Son sent to earth, guy getting swallowed by a whale… okay, so God would have no problem reaching me if he wanted to.

    After coming to these realizations and praying that God would reveal to me his plan for my life, a little while later I knew without a shadow of a doubt that he wanted me to be a writer. Your quote of Eric Liddell’s helped me pin-point what I had felt when I had found out I was going to be a writer. I felt God’s pleasure. For me, it was like a Father seeing his daughter finally open a gift he’d wanted her to open for a long time, and being delighted at her excitement and surprise.

    One other thing and then I’ll leave you to the writing! Your blue collar guy vs. white collar guy remind me of the career woman vs. stay-at-home mom. Very similar struggles.

    Anyway, I really appreciated your thoughts on this matter and from a writer to a writer- very well written! And sorry this comment is so long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lizzie, thank you for your comments. I could hardly be upset with you for being too verbose in your response... after all, that would be the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't it?!

    As always, the writing itself is rough, sometimes wandering a little. You see, Lizzie, while I want to hit the ball out of the park with every entry, there are those times when, like the prophet, the thoughts broil within me and if I do not write them down, they may consume me. I must write to lift the great weight from my chest. I fear the burden would grow so terrible as to crush me if I refrained.

    I am sure that one day I will write a blog on the topic, but I am unsure that I agree with what appears to be the prevailing perception of God's Will. As I was saying during the destruction of Arrick's property (blush), I am not so sure that it is a mystical bullseye that we must find in some mysterious, vague way. This notion bothers me a great deal, as I have nearly been undone by such thinking and I have known many good Christian men and women filled with paranoia and even fear trying to wrestle with this particular angel. Unfortunately, I am not sure there is a blessing to be procured from such an effort...

    I appreciate your post-graduation observations, and your insights. My students are always my students, graduated or not, so I always welcome questions or concerns. It may be stretching myself thin as time goes on, but I would rather take the risk of loving too many people than too few.

    Thank you again, and I will look forward to hearing from you again.

    Mr. K

    ReplyDelete