Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Life and... Elton John?

You know, life is funny sometimes, isn't it?  There are times that are deathly serious; times which defy humor.  Other times, we are caught unawares by a silly moment.  I suppose it is under this auspice that I follow up such a heartfelt entry with one that is more light-hearted.

I was feeling particularly nostalgic, so I decided to do a couple of searches on YouTube.  Some times, I search for events which I remember from years gone by...  I can't always say why I do this exactly, except that maybe I am trying to recapture something (hence the nostalgia).  At times, I look for speeches, newscasts, songs, videos, movie clips...  just to dive into the past.  Maybe, in the great tradition of all humanity, I am trying to make some sense of my experiences through reliving them somehow.

This said, I came across some Elton John videos on the 'Tube.  Yes, back in the day, I was quite the Elton John fan.  Of my CD collection, a very large portion consisted of Elton's works.  The songwriting (especially when our man Reg teamed up with his pal Bernie), and, of course, the terrific voice coupled to produce some of my favorite songs.  Even after ten years or more of not hearing them, I found myself singing along step for step.  Yes, I sang with Elton.  I am comfortable admitting that.

One of my favorite albums was "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy."  This title track, shortened, was my computer password for 4 years...  I literally hummed it to myself nearly every time I logged on.  The story of Sir Elton's friendship with Bernie Taupin, it is a fun song with a certain defiant tone.  

The final track, "Curtains," is still one of my favorite songs of all time.  It is so beautiful and wistful.  It draws us back through time, to young love, to emotion so pure that it is almost embarrassing in the cynical eyes of adulthood.  I hadn't heard this in... about 10 years, and picked it right up.  "A once upon a time..."

In fact, what really stunned me about "Curtains" was that the alternative/grunge band Alice In Chains did a cover of it!  Whoa.  It was actually pretty good.  

But I will tell you this...  if you have never heard the Live in Australia album, wherein Elton performs with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (1986)...  well, I just don't know what to tell you about that.  Your heart is cold.  It is marvelous.  Terrific.  Ya oughta give it a listen.  

I am really not kidding about this.  Out of all the CD's I have ever heard, in any genre, it may well be my favorite album.  It is pretty "wow" stuff.  The songs themselves are great.  The symphony is amazing.  Elton brings it.  

Just look at the song list.  "60 years on" recounts an aged soldier... a veteran of a terrible war, looking at the end of his life in despair.  "I need you to turn to" may be one of the most amazing love songs of modern music, but it gets little press.  Speaking of quintessential love songs, this rendition of "Your Song" is marvelous.  His voice has that sincere gravelly sound to it... with an orchestra behind it.  

"Tonight," the song of a broken hearted lover, is a masterpiece.  It tells of a man trying to reach out to a bitter lover, looking for peace and reconciliation.  A man desperate for some sign that this love may be healed.  I don't know exactly why, but the love songs that bespeak of hardship or long suffering seem more true somehow.  "Sorry seems to be the hardest word" follows this same vein.

In his introduction to "The Greatest Discovery," Elton tells us that the lyrics to this song are among his favorites.  As we "watch" a little boy meeting his new baby brother for the first time, we marvel along with him.  It is beautiful.  

These are not the only songs on this particular album...  but this gives a taste.  The album runs the gamut of emotion...  sorrow, joy, alienation, despair, hope, love, foreboding, whimsy...  it's there.  Of course, it is all performed by one of our generation's best singer-songwriters...  did I mention that he performs with an orchestra?  

Why share this exactly?  Maybe I wanted to see how many friends I have that will actually still be talking to me after I admit how much I like Elton John!  I dunno.  I just know that this album almost always takes my breath away when I hear it.  I find myself singing along and even shedding a tear...  it is rich stuff.

Maybe that's just how life is.      

       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment