Saturday, August 28, 2010

Good Walk Ruined? Part 1

Golfing.

.

.

Yes, Golfing.

.

.

I went Golfing today.

.

.

So, what does that make you think of when I say it? What is your reaction to this declaration?

Well, I can tell you that over these years, the way that I would have responded has changed.

Back in the day, if someone were to mention golf in a positive way, I would have scoffed. I probably would have dismissed the game outright. You know, to quote Twain, something about a “good walk ruined.”

As time passed, my flippant attitude softened a bit. Maybe age was a factor. When you are young, it is so easy to divide the world into two camps: namely, awesome and stupid. Age brings with it shades grey, and the world does not seem “quite” so polarized.

As time passed, I also began to read a little more about the game… began to learn about it… read essays and stories written by those who love it. Catching a glimpse of someone else’s love might have helped to soften my resolve a bit. It’s never that easy to be calloused when confronting someone else’s passion. Funny how that works…

As time passed, I spent a handful of hours on the driving range, and rode along for a few rounds with others who were playing. I could begin to see the appeal, the skill involved, and the enormous challenge of it. Since I have none of the gear for golfing, though, I still stayed an arm’s length away and did not try to actually play a game of my own.

Then, a few months ago, I was put in a position where I HAD to play a full 18 holes. You see, I am a sales rep, and our company sponsored several teams in a key local tournament. Without debate, I was expected to be an active participant on one of those teams…

As a salesperson, I am not usually a big fan of making a fool out of myself in front of potential clients, so the thought of playing my first game with them was not an attractive one. However, there I was, and there was no way out of it.

(Look for part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment